Tiramisu is a perfect light dessert after a heavy meal as it has coffee and alcohol as ingredients. Traditionally, Tiramisu is made with no liquor but some liquors are part of the ingredients in most of the modern recipes. In this recipe, I've put a small amount of Disaronno to give a hint of Amaretto and creamy Baileys making this Tiramisu so irresistable. I've used to eggs in in this recipe which makes the the custard light and a bit runny that is perfect to put in an individual container. However, if you prefer to serve it in a big tray, you MUST REDUCE TO 1 EGG for the firm custard layer. If you have a party or special dinner, this is a perfect dessert to make a day ahead, doesn't require baking and take very little time to make.
Prep time: 30 mins
2 medium Eggs
1/3 cup (65 g.) Granulated sugar
250 g. Italian Mascarpone
50 ml Baileys Original Irish Cream
1 tsp Vanilla extract
14 - 18 Ladyfingers
100 ml strong brew Coffee
1 tsp Disaronno
2 tbsp Cocoa powder
A pinch of Salt
Grated Chocolate for decoration
For the Custard
- Separate egg yolks in a glass bowl or heatproof bowl and egg white in another bowl. Add sugar in the yolks.
- Bring about 2 inches of water to simmer in a saucepan or a pot. Set the bowl of egg yolks in the mouth of the pot. Whisk the yolks together with sugar until it turns creamy and custard like. Remove the bowl from heat and let it cool down.
- In another bowl, add a pinch of salt in the egg white and whisk the egg white with electric hand whisk. Starting with low speed (or manually whisk while the electric whisk is off) and increase the speed to high when the bubbles start to form. Continue whisk until it forms stiff peak when remove the whisk.
- Add Mascarpone, vanilla extract and Baileys into the egg yolks mixture. Mix until the mixture is smooth with no lump of Mascarpone presenting.
- Add the egg white into egg yolks mixture and gently fold them together until smooth.
For the Lady fingers
- Pour 100ml of Coffee into a bowl and let it cool down for a bit, then add Disaronno. (I would recommend using brewed coffee but instant coffee will do as well. For instant coffee basically mix 4 tsp of instant coffee with 100 ml of boiled water.). Break the ladyfingers in half and set aside for the assembly.
- Get the serving cup/dish ready. Quickly dip the ladyfinger both sides (should not be soaked all the way to the center of the ladyfingers). Layer the soaked ladyfingers horizontally at the bottom of the container until most of the surface are covered.
- Spread the custard mixture on top of the layer of ladyfingers. Fill to the half of the container.
- If you are using a glass like me, put another layer of soaked ladyfingers vertically at the edge of the container and fill the space with custard layer to the top of the container.
- Use a sifter to sift cocoa powder over the top and finely grate chocolate over the cocoa powder. Put the Tiramisu in the fridge for at least 1 hour. (Max 24 hrs.)
- To make this Tiramisu recipe in a tray, you must put 1 egg instead of 2. This will make the custard more firm and still see the layers when cut it in pieces.
- Heavy cream can also be used to replace egg white, this will make the custard texture richer and firmer.
- Feel free to cut alcohol out of this recipe, the ingredients proportion will remain the same but you might need to add 1-2 tbsp of granulated sugar in the custard.